Good evening. I must preface this by saying that I am very much a novice in the breed. I lost the second of my two Peruvians in January at age 28. I never showed him, only rode him in two organized events, but he was very strong and sound when he died of colic at age 28. His name was Paraiso. His sire was Principe de la Solana, and I am very much convinced that his conformation was more like Peruvians of generations past. He was very stocky and compact - he always reminded me of the old Morgan horse conformation (which I had fallen in love with as a horse-crazy child). His gait was not as smooth as other Peruvians I have ridden, but I would take one like him in a minute over the more fine-boned mare I had (a Tondero daughter), who broke down early and was sore her whole life. (But in all fairness to her, when I got her I was REALLY a novice, and did not properly condition her - she might have been more if I had known how to bring her up to her potential.)

Just wanted to put that out there and see what others think. I am not a breeder, and certainly have no show perspective, but when I look for my next loyal and strong companion, I will be looking for one with similar conformation to Paraiso.

Views: 821

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for all those pictures! It is fun to look through all of them.
great photos - shows your love for your four legged family members!
I just uploaded a bunch of pictures of both of my horses to an album. The mare was Alumbran Ahora, aka "Star", a Tondero daughter, out of a mare (whose name I can't recall) bred in Indiana by Mrs. Baker. Star lived to age 20, but I had to put her down in 2006 when she apparently slipped in the mud (no one saw what happened) and ruptured one of her chronically bowed tendons.

Star had a sweet personality but was a bit on the ornery side and was an accident waiting to happen from the moment we got her. I think that mare walked around the pasture just LOOKING for things to impale herself on! ;-) Technically, she belonged to my ex, but since Paraiso and Star had been together since 1992, and my ex did not have a place to keep her anyway, it made sense to bring her with me to Kansas. Those two horses were inseparable, and when Star died, I had first a gelding, and then a pony to keep Paraiso company. Otis, the pony, was an escape artist, and the neighbors who took care of the horses for me were quite exasperated with him!
Canelo, son of LAM Dalina and AEV No hay orden.
Attachments:
I have a very compact stocky Peruvian (Poncho). I unfortunately have no idea about his bloodlines because I did not get his papers. I rescued him out of a neglectful situation. I have been told he has the "old style" look.

In many breeds -- Arabians, Morgans, Quarter Horses -- the "old style" horses cannot possibly win in the show ring, and yet...these horses remain an invaluable genetic resource for their breed.  Whenever not-so-smart breeders go astray down blind alleys of style that are detrimental to the breed, these "old style" horses provide a genetic way out.  Crossed with the current style animals that have remained sound and healthy, the old style horses can provide needed genetic diversity while at the same time restoring those qualities that made the breed so desirable in the first place.  It might well be a wise choice to breed back to one of these animals every few generations so as not to lose essential traits.  In both dogs and horses, the cross of a sturdy, plain, but structurally correct mare on a more extreme, typey stud has produced some exceptionally good animals that benefited their breed.

RSS

© 2017   Created by Chris Austin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service