Most Peruvian Horses are, "easy keepers". I would like to learn what diet has been found to provide the optimum nutrition for our animals health & performance.

Views: 483

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We feed our Peruvians Fast Track probiotics once daily and, knock on wood, they have done well. We also feed grass hay three times a day, and Nutrena Safe Choice with Sunrise pure timothy and pure bermuda pellets twice a day. Our stallion, Burlon, gets one flake of alfalfa in the morning instead of grass because he is bigger (over 16 hands) and seems to need the alfalfa to maintain his weight. We really like the Fast Track and the Sunrise pure Timothy and Bermuda pellets.
I just got a major breakthrought in treating my insulin resistant mare. I stopped feeding beet pulp. Beet pulp in itself is great for digestion BUT if you read the bag it contains a lot of molassas. This is deadly for horse with metabolic issues.
She has improved greatly on dry lot, grass hay, & equishine vitamin & minerals.
Cindy:
You can purchase Beet pulp without molasses. It is highly recommended on the Cushings chat line not to feed beet pulp with molasses, but to hunt up the plain non molasses and use that. They have had huge success in using the PLAIN (non molasses) beet pulp. A balanced diet is critical for all horses and you must start with your hay. I would suggest you have the hay tested and see exactly what is in it and then add your vitamins and minerals based upon what is in the hay to balance out the diet correctly.
Mary Donald
There is no simple answer to the question of correct diet because so many factors need to be considered, level of exercise, in a stall, in a pasture, a young colt, or a pregnant mare, however it is very important to not let your horse become overweight.

Horses evolved from free roaming herds subsisting on sparse ranges, and covering many miles a day to our heavily supplemented domesticated version with nutrition rich, pastures and light exercise. Just like humans, overweight horses are subject to many health problems. There was a study done by the Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary
Medicine (VMRCVM) and the College of Agriculture and Life
Sciences (CALS) at Virginia Tech that says that over 50% of the horses they tested were overweight. The complete article can be found on Thefriendsof theperuvianhorse.com website click on “healthy horses”

Rich Ovenburg
check out the old english way of feeding! http://www.horsehero.co.uk/1174/feeding-and-fitness/2937

RSS

© 2018   Created by Chris Austin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service