I have an 11 yr. old Peruvian rescue. I got him last September and after rehabbing him (high ringbone and poor hooves), I'm ready to start on groundwork with him. To me groundwork is groundwork. I don't subscribe to any one method. I pick and choose what works for that particular horse. Do Peruvians handle one method better than the others? I already know that Clinton Anderson methods are out with this horse. What about some of the others?

Views: 221

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you! I'll look up those DVDs.

Hi Peggy,

Peruvian horses respond well to "natural horsemanship" training. I have used techniques from a number of different trainers. I think some caution must be taken when mixing different methods . Most methods are laid out as building from one step to the next as the horse masters that step, mixing methods leads to the possibility of confusing the horse. (Unless you are very experienced in this style training.)

Do Peruvian horses handle one method better than others? I would say no. All the different methods have the same basic principles behind them. It is not clear to me why Clinton Anderson's methods would be ruled out. Understand the concept of having the horse respond to your cues, not react, by using the least pressure needed to get that response. The pressure needs to be elevated until the desired response is given by the horse. Following that idea his methods work well. It is this same concept used in the other methods. If your horse is reacting to everything he needs more time desensitizing.

Pat Pirelli and Buck Branamman are both great. Pirelli has a very detailed step by step program. Branamman not such a structured program. From what you said in your post I think you may like Buck Branamman.

I will be happy to attempt to answer any questions you may have.

Brad

Why do you advise staying away from Pirelli? It seems you are not real familiar with his methods so what basis do yo have for that recommendation? I would not hesitate to recommend the Pirelli program. Particularly to a person just starting to learn about the human-horse interaction.

Thanks for acknowledging the information I gave but why the however. Is there something you do not agree with in the post? I would be interested to know.

Why is it acceptable for a horse to "dance" when not asked to do so?

Brad

I understand your not recommending Parelli. Everyone has a favorite method and a not so favorite method. My personal preference to not use Clinton Anderson techniques is that I've found most of my horses don't respond well to using the carrot stick to provide pressure when teaching them to move away from pressure. I've even had one horse (TWH not Peruvian) just put her head down and stand there and take the repetitive tapping of the stick. Her attitude was, "Ok beat me, that's what I'm use to". She responded to pressure just not the stick.

Nothing was said about knowing what is best. I questioned why advice to rule out a method is a good thing without giving a rational why to avoid it. Especially when it is also stated the person should choose the method that works for them and their horse. How will they know if they are discouraged from exploring a certain method.

Peggy asked about other methods, I gave her my ideas of options she could consider. I will say I used Pirelli methods from long ago. Since I think he has added many unnecessary things beyond the basics he had then. It is easy enough to ignore those. I did not try to discourage her from exploring any method.

Caution must also be taken to not make the horse a human , a horse is a horse of course.  Your horse is your friend but must be your following friend, a horse is not a child and it's brain is a horse's brain, not a human's or a child's. A Peruvian horse is an 800 to 1000 pound animal, for safety I would never advise someone to treat a horse as if it were a child.

I may or may not have gotten the point of the "dance" example. And I admit I do not get the part of "his Peruvian way of being aware." If you wish to explain that, I will listen.   I do think it is not a good example of Peruvian brio and do not wish people to think that is acceptable behavior for a Peruvian horse.

I am not trying to be argumentative but some things being stated need further discussion or a contrary position to be presented.

Brad

RSS

© 2017   Created by Chris Austin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service