For many years, I have thought it would be wonderful if the registries would allow us to register the offspring resulting from imported semen.  This would be a way to access the entire genetic pool of existing Peruvian Paso stallions that exist worldwide.

Originally, I thought it was importation rules between countries, but when I started researching further, found that there are no importation laws that would prevent this.

It is the breed registries that do not currently have any bylaws/rules in place to address this.  NAPHA regulations state that the stallion would have to be imported to US soil and registered with NAPHA as a breeding stallion, then the resulting offspring would be eligible for registration.

Other big breeds allow for the import/export of shipped semen, I am not sure why a breed with such a limited gene pool as the Peruvian Horse does not allow for this.

Do you think an agreement between registries that would allow for the registration of offspring resulting from imported shipped semen would be beneficial to the Peruvian Horse breed?

Views: 1032

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I personally am opposed to partbloods with the Peruvian Paso. The history and culture and beauty of our breed is the pure blood.  To mix that up with TWH, quarter horse, thoroughbred and anything else would be an insult to the Peruvian culture and effort to protect this amazing breed.

Sorry I disgree with permitting a partbred registry at this point.

Peru does have other bloodlines that they do not use on a regular base, and hard to find, but would be worth investing in before they totally disappear all together. That is the main goal.

Please read the new article posted in PHW recently.

http://www.peruvianhorseworld.com/forum/topics/good-genes

Then consider if you still believe the need for opening the bloodlines.

Importing semen can only further damage the economics of the dwindling number of breeders in the United States.

Introducing part bloods has just been done by NAPHA in allowing Argentinian Peruvian horses into the NAPHA registry. Horses known to  be part bloods. And yet within the United States we are required to prove the pure blood of foals registered.And this move caused the resignation of nearly all the NAPHA registration committee. I say bravo to those individuals that did so to make a statement in defense of the purity of the breed.

Search in the United States, you may find the bloodline you seek even if it becomes more difficult due to the decline of the industry here.

Support the United States Peruvian horse industry.

It is amazing to me that in the face of all the scientific information that we have stating that the Peruvian Horse has one of the largest gene pools of any domestic horse, NAPHA continues to support blogs on PHW stating otherwise. Wouldn't our members be better served by the latest scientific information? Isn't one of the goals of a non-profit to educate? We've had the complete genome of the horse for a few years now. People need to have good information, so they can  make good decisions. Come on Peruvian Horse World it's the 21st century.

Please clarify.  I am totally confused by the direction of this conversation. I know it has been going on for a while (2012), but I thought the conversation was about importing semen from pure blood Peruvian Pasos from other countries, which apparently is not allowed in the U.S. and possibly other countries, also. Then, the conversation went to mixed breeds?  Why would we want to mix anything with our "Pura Raza" Peruvian Paso? Are the newly NAPHA registered Argentina Peruvian Paso a mixed breed? Or are they pure blood PP from Argentina? I am not a breeder. I do understand the economics of the breeding industry, and supporting what we have here in the U.S.  But it swings both ways, if all breeders could export and import. Let us just keep our breed pure.

Patricia

The reason given for importing semen is that it will open up our bloodlines and increase our gene pool, the blog states "I am not sure why a breed with such a limited gene pool as the Peruvian Horse does not allow for this." The facts are Peruvian Horses have a very large and diverse gene pool and opening it up farther is not a reason to do anything Like I said in my earlier post you need good information to make good decisions. There seems to be some doubt about how "pure" the Argentina horses are, but people have used the argument of a Small gene pool to include them.  

Rich

Thank you for your comment. I would agree that the gene pool of the Peruvian Paso is not a limited pool. But I also understand how access to the gene pool of glorious stallions in another country would be exciting and may yield some more spectacular horses.

Rich-

Thanks for your comments. For clarification sake, I wrote this blog post prior to NAPHA having control of Peruvian Horse World, so this blog post does not reflect NAPHA's views, the views were and are my own.

I was not using the words "Gene Pool" in the context as it relates to the horse's genome, I was using them in the context of increasing the availability of potential breeding stallions for mare owners to keep bloodlines open.  I can not imagine that increasing the selection of breeding stallions by allowing imported semen would be a bad thing for the Peruvian Horse breed.

To bring it to it's most simple root...if I had one stallion available, and 10 mares...what do I do after I breed my one stallion to all my mares if I have no other stallions available? Start inbreeding? This has nothing to do with the diverse genome of the horses...if I continued to inbreed, undesirable traits would begin to display themselves in the resulting offspring.  The continued concentration of bloodlines is not good for any pure bred animal.  I am not suggesting that our breed is suffering from this, it is merely to explain my view point on this topic.

By allowing for the importation of shipped semen it allows for the continued sharing of diverse bloodlines, as well as having access to the best breeding stock without geographic limitations. I can not see why any one who is interested in the preservation of the Peruvian Paso Horse as a breed would consider this a bad idea. Again, these opinions are my own.

Forgive me if I did not use the proper scientific words, but I think that in reading the blog post, it is pretty clear that I am not discussing the gene pool as it relates to the genome, but rather the gene pool as it relates to available bloodlines.

And yes Rich, you are right...it is the 21st century...maybe it is time to start taking advantage of the ability to ship semen for the benefit of the Peruvian Horse breed.

Respectfully yours,

Laura Mesia

I understand that you have a strong opinion on this, I only thought you should support it with facts. When you talk about the need to open bloodlines and a "limited gene pool" people might think you mean the Peruvian Horse actually has a "limited gene pool" The words have meaning and they reference genetics and if the post is signed PHW Admin. some people may assume that is NAPHA since its their website. Thats all I meant.

I agree opinions should be supported by facts. I did not think my use of Gene Pool was completely inaccurate, as it related to the context of the topic. Here is the definition of Gene Pool from the National Human Genome Research Institute:

"Gene Pool-

A gene pool is the total genetic diversity found within a population or a species. A large gene pool has extensive genetic diversity and is better able to withstand the challenges posed by environmental stresses. Inbreeding contributes to the creation of a small gene pool and makes populations or species more likely to go extinct when faced with some type of stress." Source link: http://www.genome.gov/glossary/index.cfm?id=75

The gene pool is made up of the entire population of reproducing breeding stock , as well as the specific genes related to the species. 

So according to this definition, a larger population of breeding animals would in fact increase the genetic diversity, whereas decreasing the breeding population would decrease the genetic diversity. 

It is great news that the Peruvian Horse has a large genetic diversity. It goes to figure then, that by creating more breeding options and therefore increasing the total population of reproduction stock, that it would keep the genetic diversity strong.

I appreciate you sharing your knowledge and your views. It is through the exchange of knowledge and ideas, even if views are sometimes opposing, that change and progress occur. 

Best,

Laura Mesia  

Laura,

Your clarifications are much appreciated. I am not a breeder, simply an owner of a wonderful PP. I try, on a very small scale, to promote our breed. I agree that breeding options are important and can possibly provide us with the best horses possible, if handled responsibly. This kind of conversation is informative and stimulating. 

Thank you all.

Thanks Patricia...indeed, this has been a very interesting conversation! Thank you for doing your part to promote the breed...many individual contributions can create big results! Keep going!

Best,

Laura

RSS

© 2018   Created by Chris Austin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service