Another question. This is my first PP, otherwise I have ridden and shown a AQHA. I'd like to get involved in some Western Dressage but my girl has no clue about moving away from leg pressure, anytime I put leg on her she assumes this means gait and if I hold her back she gets frustrated. Perhaps PP are not typically trained with leg pressure? With that being said, any thoughts..just side pass, Turn on the forehand/haunches, leg yield?

Thank You,

Views: 105

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My beloved Rufian (1988-2012) could match every dressage move step for step. We were at an expo years ago and a very well known Andalusian owner bumped us from our scheduled practice time. While we stood outside in the sleet waiting for him to finish, Rufy and I began mirroring all his fancy dressage moves. It was hilarious! All the other people waiting outside started to hoot and clap. So... yes, Peruvian horses can learn all the classical cues. I have found they are more responsive and lighter than other breeds. Start from the beginning with natural horsemanship groundwork. She will pick it up quickly. OR, bring her to our clinic in May!

Yes, really hoping to come to the clinic in May...:

Good question.  In the training video's I've watched, they really don't say anything about using legs.  At least not like English or Western riding does.  I would start on the ground, that way she won't want to or be able to break into a gait.  Once she figures out what you want, it'll be easier when you're riding her.

Thank you..yes will go back to ground work..

The previous training taught the horse leg pressure meant move forward or speed up. The reins are used for everything else. Just a different approach. Your horse will need  retaining to the use of leg pressure for riding if that is how you want to ride. As already mentioned groundwork may be the best start to accomplish your goal. Work to teach her to calmly respond to pressure on her side and yield her hind quarters as you would like her to do when you apply leg pressure when riding. Also do the same for the front end. Hopefully she will catch on quickly, one leg means yield, two legs means go.

Thank you Brad that makes sense, what you say regarding the training, because as I said, leg means go to her...need to approach it all differently. 

RSS

© 2017   Created by Chris Austin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service