Napha Registration Rules;

Part 14. - DNA TYPING & VERIFICATION OF PARENTAGE
Beginning January 1, 2006, any horse being registered with NAPHA must
first have its DNA on record. All horses being registered for the first time
must have parental verification as a qualification for registration.
8/3/2007 Imported horses must have their DNA on file with NAPHA.
Horses having their registration transferred to NAPHA must have their DNA and
parental verification on file. Any exception “for cause” must go before the
Registration Committee.

This rule states imported horses need only DNA on file.
Horses bred here in the U.S.A. require DNA on file and parental verification.
I would like to ask why the imported horse has a lessor qualification for registration in the NAPHA than a horse bred in the U.S.A. ?
Why is the 8/3/2007 date, a date associated with the imported horse  part of the rule? 

Views: 198

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Brad - The rules are the same for horses bred in the US and those bred in Peru. I believe the 8/3/07 date has to do with the date Peru began using DNA. See bolded section below. If you have a specific question, please reach out to me personally to discuss.

Part 3. - APPLICATION FOR IMPORTED HORSE – page 14-15

Before any horse is eligible for registration under the provisions of Rule 1,

Part 2 (C) shall be registered in the records of NAPHA, the owner of such

horse at the time of importation shall make application on a form supplied

by NAPHA, said application shall include the name, sex, color and

markings of the horse to be registered. 8/3/2007DNA must be on file. Said

application shall be accompanied by the required fee, at least four (4)

color photos (1 of each side of animal, - 1 of which will have head facing

camera - 1 from the front and 1 from the rear), date of importation, 8/11/2007a

copy of USDA - Veterinarian’s report of Inspection for Importation,

Registration Certificate from the Asociacion Nacional de Criadores y

Propietarios de Caballos Peruanos de Paso in Lima, Peru, showing one

generation pedigree. Exceptional cases may be appealed to the

Registration Committee for approval PRIOR to importation.

Documentation showing qualification for a closed stud book (i.e. copies

of A.N.C.P.C.P.P. registration papers of sire, dam, grandsires, granddams,

etc. as needed) may be required of all imported horses who were

registered in the A.N.C.P.C.P.P. after April 30, 1982. Imported animals

will be designated by an asterisk (*) preceding name.

8/11/2007If the horse was registered in Peru after June 1, 2007, owner must

provide NAPHA with a copy of the parental verification and a copy of the

DNA marker report along with the DNA marker report for the sire and dam,

and all fees as stated on the Fee Schedule.

My apologies, the bolded section didn't stay bold when I posted it. Here is the section I was referring to:

8/11/2007If the horse was registered in Peru after June 1, 2007, owner must

provide NAPHA with a copy of the parental verification and a copy of the

DNA marker report along with the DNA marker report for the sire and dam,

and all fees as stated on the Fee Schedule.

The rules are not the same. U.S.A. bred horses of any age require parental verification. Only imported horses registered after June 1, 2007 require parental verification. This is grossly unfair to the U.S.A. bred horses and may corrupt the purity of the NAPHA registry.

I know my old AAOBPPH and PPHRNA registered mares were not able to have their offspring registered in the NAPHA without paying for and doing a new DNA test for parental verification even with the DNA on record at Davis and those same mares having a number of foals already registered in the AA and PP. I also know there are some purebred Peruvian horses out there unregistered because the parents have passed on and there is no way to pull DNA for parental verification and the NAPHA is refusing to register those horses. Whereas an imported horse registered in Peru prior to June 1, 2007 can be registered in the NAPHA without parental verification.

Please tell me how it can be stated "The rules are the same for horses bred in the US and those bred in Peru." when this is clearly not the case.

How are horses without parental verification allowed into the NAPHA registry when the NAPHA is claiming it is maintaining the purity of the breed?

Why was this rule containing the June 1, 2007 date placed in the registry rules? How many imported horses has the NAPHA registered without parental verification? Has the purity of the NAPHA registry been compromised?

Since the NAPHA is refusing to register some U.S.A. horses without parental verification and has done so for some imported horses, should not those U.S.A. horses be registered or the imported horses disqualified from the registry?

Why would this still be allowed for imported horses that may only be 8 years old?

It is not right for U.S.A. horses to have a stricter and more expensive registration process than an imported horse as long as that horse was registered in Peru prior to June 1, 2007.

Brad - I strongly encourage you to work with the CLRC and Arlynda if you have specific questions around the ability to register any of your horses.

NAPHA didn't require parental verification of any unregistered horse until Jan. 1, 2006. It was the following year (2007) that the board researched the ANCPCPP registration rules and implemented the parental verification rule on horses from Peru. If a horse was registered in Peru after June 1, 2007, NAPHA required DNA typing and parental verification on that horse prior to registration with NAPHA. Per Arlynda, no imported horse since July of 2007 has been registered without DNA/PV.

So, there could have been registrations in that time period of a little more than 12 months were the rules were different. However, other than that very short time period, the rules are exactly the same.

Instead of continuing to post about the things you don't like, how about you instead post something about why you love this breed of horse or something that you learned as a trainer that would benefit those individuals who are newer to the breed? For a man that has been in the breed as long as you have, you know many tricks of the trade you could teach others. My hope when NAPHA acquired PHW was that it would be used to facilitate positive interactions between NAPHA members and Peruvian Horse aficionados. If you have a concern about an issue, please contact a board member directly. I am always open for a phone call or email with a problem and a proposed solution. We all know that there are things to be improved on, it just takes a solution and action to make things happen.

Just my two cents, and somewhat off topic, I've not had ANY luck with any replies from Arlynda, if I need anything answered Lauralee w/CLRC has always been very helpful!!

The good thing about a member based organization is that the membership has certain powers per the by-laws and California Corporate Code under which NAPHA is incorporated.  If you are unhappy with a rule, or wording of a rule, you can fill out a NAPHA Rules Change Submission Form to have your issue addressed. (Attached) My daughter just filled out one of these forms and turned it in to our RAC regarding feminine show attire. 

Attachments:

Thank you, Michele, that is a great point.

I have submitted 3 rule change forms concerning the registration of horses registered in Peru prior to June 2007 being exempt from parental verification. The proposed change removes this exemption and requires parental verification be required for these horse to remain registered with the NAPHA.

Attachments:

RSS

© 2017   Created by Chris Austin.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service